A beautiful day on the lake can turn ugly if you are in a boating accident. Because boating accident laws are nuanced and regulated by federal, state and local authorities, you may have difficulty navigating them. Therefore, here are some tips from a St. Mary’s County accident attorney.
- Before you go out on the water, make sure that your vessel carries the mandatory safety equipment (or the carriage requirement).
- Most jurisdictions require you to carry boat insurance. Make sure you are covered.
- Make sure your vehicle is in compliance with rules relating to life jackets, visual distress signals, fire extinguishers, ventilation, backfire flame control, sound producing devices, navigation lights, pollution regulations, and marine sanitation devices. Those devices might save you during an accident.
- Check the weather forecast before you go out on your boat, especially if you plan to travel far from land. What might seem like a sunny day can quickly turn deadly if a severe storm rolls through.
- Don’t drink and boat because over one-third of all boating accidents involve a driver who is under the influence of alcohol.
- If you do get into an accident, check with your State’s reporting authority on whether you need to report your boat accident.
- Be aware or your surroundings and know where you are going. You do not want to get lost at sea.
Hopefully, you do not become involved in a boating accident. However, if you are injured in a boating accident and need help, contact us for a free case evaluation.
Tags: accident attorney, accident lawyer, anne arundel county accident attorney, anne arundel county accident lawyer, anne arundel county personal injury attorney, auto accident, automobile accident, charles county accident attorney, charles county accident lawyer, charles county personal injury attorney, d c accident attorney, d c accident lawyer, dc accident attorney, dc accident lawyer, eastern shore accident attorney, eastern shore accident lawyer, injury attorney, injury lawyer, kent county accident attorney, kent county accident lawyer, mary's county accident attorney, mary's county accident lawyer, maryland accident attorney, maryland accident lawyer, Maryland personal injury attorney, maryland personal injury lawyer, montgomery county accident attorney, montgomery county accident lawyer, motorcycle accident, oxon hill personal injury attorney, prince georges county accident attorney, prince georges county accident lawyer, prince georges county personal injury attorney, st, traffic accident, traffic crash, truck accident, virginia accident attorney, virginia accident lawyer