Nearly half a million truck accidents occur each year in the U.S. These are collisions that involve large trailer trucks, passenger cars and/or pedestrians. As the trucking industry grows, these accidents may become more common. What are the leading truck accident causes? Here are seven.
- According to a recent study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, truck brake problems are the leading cause of truck accidents. In fact, brake failure causes 29% of all truck accidents each year.
- Speeding by truck drivers is the second leading cause of truck crashes. In most cases, the faster the truck was traveling, the more deadly the resulting collision.
- The third leading cause of truck accidents is trucker unfamiliarity with roads. This is not surprising since many long distance drivers are often in towns and cities that they do not know well.
- Roadway conditions are the fourth leading cause of truck crashes. Improperly maintained roads may cause truck drivers to swerve or brake too fast.
- Over the counter drug use by truck drivers is the fifth leading cause of truck accidents. In fact, truckers using non-prescription medications results in 17% of truck collisions each year.
- Passenger car drivers are often unaware of blind spots around large trucks. Failure of truck drivers to adequately check these blind spots for smaller vehicles is the sixth leading cause of truck crashes.
- Fatigue on the part of truck drivers is the seventh leading cause of truck accidents. Although the Department of Transportation’s hours-of-service safety regulations limit the average trucker’s work week to 70 hours, truck drivers may still doze off at the wheel.
Have you been involved in a truck accident in Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C.? If so, then contact us at http://www.844TakeMyCase.com or at 844-Take-MyCase. The Law Offices of John Critzos, II are here to help.
Tags: accident attorney, accident lawyer, anne arundel county accident attorney, anne arundel county accident lawyer, anne arundel county personal injury attorney, auto accident, automobile accident, charles county accident attorney, charles county accident lawyer, charles county personal injury attorney, d c accident attorney, d c accident lawyer, dc accident attorney, dc accident lawyer, eastern shore accident attorney, eastern shore accident lawyer, injury attorney, injury lawyer, kent county accident attorney, kent county accident lawyer, mary's county accident attorney, mary's county accident lawyer, maryland accident attorney, maryland accident lawyer, Maryland personal injury attorney, maryland personal injury lawyer, montgomery county accident attorney, montgomery county accident lawyer, motorcycle accident, oxon hill personal injury attorney, prince georges county accident attorney, prince georges county accident lawyer, prince georges county personal injury attorney, st, traffic accident, traffic crash, truck accident, virginia accident attorney, virginia accident lawyer