Pedestrian accidents are common in Maryland. Here are five facts you should know.
- One: Maryland is a relatively dangerous place for pedestrians. It is among the top 10 states nationally for pedestrian accident fatalities, with 1.75 fatalities per 100,000 of population.
- Two: If you are hit by a vehicle while walking in Maryland, the law should protect you if you are where you are supposed to be, by law, at the time of the accident. For example, if a pedestrian is struck while crossing the street, he or she is legally where they were supposed to be. The driver of any vehicle—car, bus, truck, or motorcycle—should be avoiding the pedestrian in the crosswalk, not the other way around.
- Three: An accident report is not necessarily admissible in court, because it may contain an opinion, unverified by evidence or eyewitness accounts, about who was at fault for the accident. Physical evidence, such as any results from video cameras, or skid marks, are better evidence in court. Eyewitness accounts are also admissible.
- Four: certain age groups and certain occupations are at risk for pedestrian accidents. The elderly, who may take more time crossing the street, are particularly at risk. However, so are workers whose required activities may place them in the street: workers on sanitation trucks, utility repair people, and even police.
- Five: a good defense is imperative. Under Maryland law, if a driver can prove contributory negligence, the pedestrian might not receive damages from the court even if the driver caused the accident.
Tags: accident attorney, accident lawyer, anne arundel county accident attorney, anne arundel county accident lawyer, anne arundel county personal injury attorney, auto accident, automobile accident, charles county accident attorney, charles county accident lawyer, charles county personal injury attorney, d c accident attorney, d c accident lawyer, dc accident attorney, dc accident lawyer, eastern shore accident attorney, eastern shore accident lawyer, injury attorney, injury lawyer, kent county accident attorney, kent county accident lawyer, mary's county accident attorney, mary's county accident lawyer, maryland accident attorney, maryland accident lawyer, Maryland personal injury attorney, maryland personal injury lawyer, montgomery county accident attorney, montgomery county accident lawyer, motorcycle accident, oxon hill personal injury attorney, prince georges county accident attorney, prince georges county accident lawyer, prince georges county personal injury attorney, st, traffic accident, traffic crash, truck accident, virginia accident attorney, virginia accident lawyer